Suidplaas Dohnes January auction: The results of the day
DOHNE MERINO, AUCTIONS | Feb 3, 2021
Suidplaas Dohnes recently held its 22nd ram auction at the home of the stud, Klipbankskloof farm, near Protem.
A total of 110 A+AA rams, 32 AA stud ewes and 300 young ewes were sold to the highest bidder – proving to be a successful auction for the Suidplaas Dohnes team.
Keep on giving
Madré du Toit, Wynand’s wife, opened the auction, encouraging the farming community to keep on giving throughout the troubling times. She said, “In 2019, we were facing a serious drought. In 2020, we saw the effects of a worldwide pandemic, COVID-19. Now in 2021, we ask that you, as the farming community, please continue to support your fellow farmers and South Africans.”
This set the tone for a positive and exciting Dohne Merino ram auction, with farmers and breeders attending from near and far. This once again demonstrated the importance of strong genetics to improve a sheep stud and farm.
Here are the statistics of the day
– The highest-selling ram (lot 15) was sold to Francois Lötter on behalf of Isha Dohnes, Theeside Farm, for R36 000
– The second-highest selling ram was sold for R32 000 by Jan Schoonwinkel, Swartsdam Farm
– Isha Dohnes, Theeside Farm, also bought lot 47 for a total of R30 000
– Another ram was also bought at the auction for R30 000 by Robert McDonald
– The average price per ram amounted to an impressive R13 822
– The young ewes were sold for an average of R2 900
– The average price for the stud ewes was R4 000
– Amerika Landgoed, Bredasdorp, bought the most rams of the day.
From left: Jakkie Nel (OVK’s auctioneer), Stephan van der Westhuizen (OVK), Francois Lötter (Buyer on behalf of Isha Dohnes, Theeside Farm), Wynand du Toit (Seller – Suidplaas Dohnes), Marshall Afrika/Manners (Suidplaas Dohnes) and Marius Paulsen (OVK).
Thank you also to the Suidplaas Dohnes team for the dedication and passion.
We look forward to hosting you at our next ram auction in August.